Andrew Abreo, Gareth Abreo, Jim Dyck, Casey Smith, Kevin Speilman, Misty Vanpopta, and Eric Woodward
ADOPTION OF AGENDA ITEMS
Meeting called to order at 8:02am.
- That the agenda for the meeting be approved and adopted.
- MOVED BY
- Casey Smith
- SECONDED BY
- Misty Vanpopta
- Without Dissent
- That the minutes of the June 12, 2013, meeting be adopted as received.
- MOVED BY
- Kevin Speilman
- SECONDED BY
- Jim Dyck
- Without Dissent
- President's Report
- Eric Woodward reported that the Fort Langley Facebook page now had 1,682 Likes, and more were being acquired each day as part of the campaign to acquire as many as possible up to a maximum $750 expenditure.
- Eric suggested the Board revisit that maximum at the August meeting.
- Eric also reported that that a new society called the Fort Langley Residents for Sustainable Development had filed a Petition to the Court on July 5, 2013, against the Township to Langley to have the approval for the Coulter Berry Building set aside.
- Eric outlined that the Board needs to be aware of this situation since this Petition potentially affects four (4) Board members that could end up in indirect conflict with each other, since Andrew Abreo's and Gareth Abreo's mother is one of five (5) Directors of this Society, as is Diane Morrison of Wendel's Cafe and Bookstore, the firm Gareth works for and represents on the Board. The development is Eric Woodward's and Kevin Speilman is with the firm conducting its construction, and both could suffer material financial damages as a result of the Petition.
- All agreed that the situation is not yet a BIA issue, but that the Board should and would continue to monitor the situation.
- Treasurer's Report
- Jim Dyck reported that the BIA's bank balance as of June 30, 2013, is $41,306.
- Jim also reported that the three grants from the ToL for a total of $11,500 had been received.
- The annual ToL levy should be released now after submitting the revised YE financials, which cost the BIA about $800 in additional accountant fees.
- Streetscape Report
- Casey Smith reported that he and Eric Woodward met with Brian Edey regarding village signage and maintenance issues.
- Casey also reported that the ToL had sprayed the weeds on the street, and there have been extra garbage pickups on Saturdays as requested.
- Village Directories. Eric Woodward & Kevin Speilman.
- Eric Woodward showed a draft pedestrian directory map to the Board for some initial commentary and feedback. The Board requested to meet with its creator at the next meeting to discuss it further, and that that meeting be be sooner than the next Board meeting. It was agreed to schedule the next Board meeting to be sooner than previously planned, on August 1, 2013.
- Streetscape Plan Update. Kevin Speilman.
- Kevin requested some direction from the Board and how to possibly proceed to obtain some quotations for updating the Streetscape Plan from 2001. He confirmed that the firm that completed the document in 2001 would be unaffordable to the BIA, and that other options would require a specific list of items to update to keep the cost affordable.
- Kevin had prepared a list of the individual items within the Streetscape Plan that needed to be updated or added, such as a bike racks, bollards, planters, and so on. Depending on the scope of an engagement, he reported that it could become quite expensive to overhaul the entire document.
- The Board revisited this work item, and many questioned the value of this item given other priorities coming up this year and next. Some also doubted that it would have any value since the Township of Langley was essentially ignoring the current document anyways with the painted crosswalks and stamped concrete installations in recent years.
- It was agreed to defer a decision for now, and continue this discussion at future meetings.
- Cranberry Festival Update w/ Meghan Neufeld
- Meghan Neufeld reported that she had now met with both the Langley Times and the Langley Advance to discuss sponsorship and advertising.
- She and Board discussed the possibility of increasing advertising in Surrey and Abbotsford to perhaps draw more people to Fort Langley that have not visited before.
- In terms of entertainment, Meghan outlined she would prefer to engage a manager or agent to organize it, to better ensure quality and variety of options.
- Meghan suggested that the booth fees for a festival the size of Cranberry Festival are somewhat low. After some discussion, the Board agreed to a booth fee of $200 for non-members, $100 for members, with food vendors that are members getting a 50% reduction off of standard percentage rent, to be further discussed at the next meeting.
- Meghan requested another few weeks to consider some changes to the sponsorship structure for the Board to consider at its next meeting. She also wanted to speak to a few potential sponsors for some informal feedback.
- Meghan confirmed that she would be available to attend the next meeting now rescheduled for August 1, 2013.
- GranFondo Photographs
- Eric Woodward confirmed that the quote for photographs of the Prospera Valley GranFondo was $400, $400 for BC Day, and $400 for two additional miscellaneous weekend days sometime this summer.
- Gareth Abreo expressed some concern about the amount of money potentially being devoted to photographs given the BIA's overall budgetary constraints.
- It was agreed to commit to photographs for the GranFondo, Cranberry Festival, BC Day, November 11th, and Christmas if the photographer would include a discount of some kind. Eric Woodward said he would speak to the photographer and report back at the August meeting.
- Facebook Advertising Budget
- The Board informally agreed that the $750 authorized for Facebook can be accelerated to complete in July.
- Casey Smith asked if there was any additional consideration to attempt a Fort Fridays event this year. Eric Woodward reported that it was still possible, but unlikely. He confirmed that he would inquire again and suggested that the Board discuss it further at the next meeting, which is now only a few weeks away.
The next meeting is now proposed to be on August 1, 2013, at 8:00am.
Meeting adjourned at 11:08am.