FORT LANGLEY BIA

FORT LANGLEY BIA BOARD OF DIRECTORS

MINUTES

Thursday, March 7, 2013
9:30am

BIA Office
Unit 3, 9228 Glover Road
Fort Langley, BC

Attending

Gareth Abreo, Jim Dyck, Dixie Jacobson, Casey Smith, Kevin Speilman, and Eric Woodward

Regrets

Andy Abreo, Misty Vanpopta

A.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA ITEMS

Meeting called to order at 9:36am.

MOTION
That the agenda for the meeting be approved and adopted.
MOVED BY
Dixie Jacobson
SECONDED BY
Casey Smith
CARRIED
Without Dissent
B.
ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION
That the minutes of the February 7, 2013, meeting be adopted as received.
MOVED BY
Gareth Abreo
SECONDED BY
Kevin Speilman
CARRIED
Without Dissent
C.
PRESENTATIONS
D.
REPORTS
  1. President's Report
    1. Eric Woodward reported that, based on the Board's direction at the last meeting, he coordinated a written response to the Township of Langley regarding the proposed revision to the filming guidelines, signed by every Director. February 15, 2013.
    2. Attended a "Cash Mob" meeting held by Greater Langley Chamber of Commerce about the possibility of coordinating a series of cash mobs with Langley's other business associations. February 14, 2013.
    3. Completed a DRAFT Work Plan for 2013-2014 for the Board of Directors to consider at today's meeting. February 25, 2013.
    4. Attended a meeting with Casey Smith and Brian Edey of the Township of Langley. February 28, 2013.
    5. Submitted the Community, Major Festivals and Nothing Without Effort grant applications for 2013 to the Township of Langley. February 28, 2013.
    6. Met with Meghan Neufeld about the possibility of her firm planning and executing this year's Cranberry Festival on behalf of the BIA. March 2, 2013.
    7. Attended the evening Council meeting where the Heritage Alteration Permit application for a significantly revised version of the Fort Professional Building on 96th Avenue was approved by Council 9-0. March 4, 2013.
    8. Attended the open house for the filming guidelines update at the Fort Langley Fire Hall. March 5, 2013.
      1. Both Jim Dyck and Gareth Abreo mentioned that they attended the open house as well, and both reported that their impression was that the Township staff felt very strongly about removing the film liaison position from the guidelines.
  2. Treasurer's Report
    1. Jim Dyck reported that the cash balance of the BIA as of March 7, 2013, is $33,333, with approximately $1,350 in known payables.
    2. He also reported that a small cheque for a security deposit related to the 2012 Cranberry Festival has not been cashed, and so he added it back to the operating balance.
  3. Streetscape Report
    1. Casey Smith reported that he and Eric Woodward both met with Brian Edey of the Township of Langley about relocating the Fort Langley entrance sign on Brae Island to Mavis Avenue and River Road, and that he agreed to do so. February 28, 2013.
E.
CORRESPONDENCE
  1. FOI Request Response #1. February 13, 2013.
  2. FOI Request Response #2. February 15, 2013.
  3. Filming Guidelines Revision Feedback. February 15, 2013.
  4. Bates Motel Thank You. February 15, 2013.
  5. Notice to Vacate BIA Office. February 19, 2013.
F.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION
  1. Bedford Landing Amenity Space FOI Request. February 12, 2013.
  2. Greater Langley COC Cash Mob Meeting Minutes. February 14, 2013.
  3. Tourism Langley AGM. February 28, 2013.
  4. RTC Fort Professional Building REVISED. March 4, 2013.
H.
CURRENT WORK ITEMS
  1. Grant Applications for 2013. Eric Woodward.
    1. Eric Woodward reported that only the Banners Grant application remained to be submitted, and the deadline for that grant is March 15, 2013. He reported that he and Casey Smith will work on it together and submit it by the deadline.
  2. DRAFT Banner Designs. Eric Woodward.
    1. Eric Woodward reported that he planned to remove this as an active work item for the time being, given the current lack of information about the utilities conversion construction schedule. It seemed at the moment that the conversion project would not start until at least the 4th quarter of 2013.
    2. Gareth Abreo expressed some concern about the current draft designs being too modern, and not quite "Fort Langley" enough. Everyone generally agreed that they needed additional consideration and revision.
    3. Eric suggested that instead of general banners, that instead the BIA could consider replacing its current Cranberry Festival banners for this year's festival regardless of the utilities conversion.
    4. While banners were under discussion, Kevin suggested swapping the current Winter/Christmas banners with the general ones, which it was agreed to do.
  3. DRAFT Work Plan for 2013-2014. Eric Woodward.
    1. Eric Woodward reported that he had completed a draft work plan for the Board to endorse and comment on as of February 25, 2013. He explained that he renamed it to a "work plan" to more accurately reflect it was not attempting to outline an overall operating plan for the BIA in general, but an outline of key work items for the next few years.
    2. Eric expressed that he hoped a formal work plan would help the BIA focus on key, achievable work items.
    MOTION
    Be it resolved that the Board of Directors hereby endorse the DRAFT Work Plan for 2013-2014, as prepared.
    MOVED BY
    Dixie Jacobson
    SECONDED BY
    Jim Dyck
    CARRIED
    Without Dissent
I.
OTHER BUSINESS
  1. Election of Vice-President
    1. Dixie Jacobson nominated Casey Smith, and Gareth Abreo seconded this nomination. All expressed their support for this nomination, as a logical choice. With no other nominations, Casey Smith was elected Vice-President by acclimation.
  2. Arrangement of BIA Meeting Space for April 2013 Onward
    1. It was generally agreed that the Fort Langley Community Hall is the most logical meeting location, if available. Casey Smith offered to contact Bob Rodgers about using the Fort Langley Community Hall from hereon.
J.
ROUND TABLE
  1. Gareth Abreo asked why the FOI request for the lease agreement between the Township of Langley and Kwantlen First Nation had been submitted. Eric Woodward outlined that he simply wanted exact details for BIA members regarding the lease cost, and commitments for community programming in that space, which Township of Langley staff would not disclose. Also, he suggested that if the rent is below market rates to a significant degree it might be that the Township of Langley is subsidizing the operation of a commercial space which is then competing with multiple BIA merchants, something the BIA should at least be aware of, if that is indeed the situation.
  2. Kevin Speilman offered to start investigating the cost and design options for directory signage, assuming approval of the Nothing Without Effort grant application for this project. He expected to have preliminary information for the April meeting.
  3. Jim Dyck asked about the possibility of asking Chris Rock to event manage the Cranberry Festival for 2013, since he had done it for the BIA in the past. Casey Smith agreed to contact her.
K.
NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be on April 11, 2013, at 8:00am.

L.
TERMINATION

Meeting adjourned at 11:14am.